So what is zero waste living?
The idea of producing zero waste, although it works for some, is unrealistic for others and can be discouraging. Instead, think about it as a lifestyle where you are more mindful of what/how we consume, and how we dispose. Limiting excess by reducing consumption and being thoughtful about the lifecycles of our possessions can go a long way. Here are some ways you can get started today. Incorporate these tips into your routine in a way that works for you so that it can be a long-term strategy:)
- Put junk mail to good use. Use it for lists or art projects!
- Reuse a cardboard box to hold scrap paper or other misc. objects
- Turn old t-shirts into rags
- Send paperless invites and holiday cards. Send e-cards instead!
- Reusable bags and containers for groceries, shopping, leftovers, etc
- Borrow items from friends and neighbors - some things that aren’t used often you both don’t need, which saves you money as well!
- Shop local, this can save plastic from packaging and shipping, and lower carbon impact too
- Use recycled, plastic-free toilet paper
- Use your phone for grocery lists, electronic coupons and calendar reminders instead of paper
- Refuse excess plastics and packaging (ie, plastic cups, plates, silverware, plastic bags)
Send us a message if you have other tips you want to share!:)